Monday, March 25, 2013

A story and a sling tutorial



I just finished up some work for a client and it got me reminiscing about my 4th baby who today, is a "not so baby" sassy pants.

Let's jump back a couple years before number 4. Everyone and their grandma's poodle told me how difficult it was transitioning from 2 to 3 kids. "You run out of hands" they all said. I'm not sure what this says about my sweet personality, but I love proving people wrong. So imagine how delighted I was when number 3 turned out to be a breeze! I was like, "BOOM! In your face people!!" (I guess maybe that means I have a rotten personality) Number 3 was a dream child. He slept through the night at 7 weeks! People, the child didn't cry. If he was hungry or upset he'd sort of grunt and scrunch up his little face but that was it!
Dream. Child.

So I think to myself, "Man am I fantastic or what?! I've got this child care thing down!" Guess what happened next? Number 4. That's what. Now, Miss M is a darling love of a child, but she was a really hard baby. She didn't nurse well and was always super fussy (unless I held her while doing the Charleston of course). She did sleep through the night early which was a blessing because she was in my face all day every day. She must have had tummy issues because she really was soooo cranky ALL the time. Looking back I wish I would have investigated a little more. But I didn't so oh well.


I did however, make myself one of these bad mamma jammas:
It saved us both and as it turned out, she was my best accessory!

Do you want to make one too?

Here's what you'll need:

2-2 1/2 yards fabric *
a pair of sling rings **

I didn't take a picture of this because my fabric was already cut, but you'll need to cut your fabric in half lengthwise. Doing this will give you two skinny yards of fabric. This means that you'll be able to make two. Great news right?!

You'll then need to either serge or hem 3 of the 4 sides (both longs sides and 1 short side). 

After doing these steps my fabric measured 28 1/2" wide. 











Of course I gave it to my client before I could take decent after pictures. I guess you'll have to make your own to see the awesomeness of it! 


Notes: 

*The fabric I like the best for slings is a polyester dressy fabric. I usually find it at Joann's in the "silky" fabrics section. It's not shiny silky but it has a nice drape and it weighs more than cotton. Quilter's cotton isn't a great fabric choice for slings because it's not as sturdy. You're going to be wrapping up your little bundle of cuteness in this thing so choose sturdy over the designer quilter's fabrics. Besides that the cottons and linens are a pain in the butt to adjust.

** As far as sling rings go, I only order from slingrings.com. The rings that you find in the craft stores are not safe for slings so don't even go there. 

If you're curious as to how to actually use this there are a bunch of youtube tutorials...check it out.





1 comment:

  1. I was seriously just thinking about asking you if you had ever made a sling before! I have been wanting (another) one (mine is MIA right now)and I am not quite sure if I trust my sewing skills enough to make my own...

    ReplyDelete

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.